Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Bread (Calzones)
From the COGBF Cookbook:
Submitted by Michelle McBride (South Carolina District) Posted April 3, 2015
- 3/4 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- 1/4 tablespoons salf
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-10 package of refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 10 ounces of mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grind chicken in blender or food processor or have butcher grind at supermarket. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and cook until done; stirring to break apart. Add basil, oregano, salt , and pepper. Remove, drain and set aside. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Cook onions until transparent; add garlic and cook about 1 minute more. Combine with chicken mixture and set aside.
Roll pizza dough to about 8 x 11 inches. Layer chicken, then cheese. Roll dough from the narrow end. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Pinch ends of roll together to seal. Bake at 350 degrees for apprx 20-30 minutes until golden brown. To serve, cut into slices.